Sunday, March 6, 2022

Jim and Mary in Formal Wear

Email from Mary Farley

November 25, 2021


I was going to a prom with Butch Nichols, a real cutie, that my friends bought me at a pie auction. 

We must have been more liberated than I would have imagined in those days.  I was a sophomore in 1958.  Butch was a senior. The Junior class sold males with a pie at an auction to pay for their prom. No girls were ever auctioned!!!

I never told a soul that I had a crush on Butch.  He was cute and funny. I saw him sometimes at the tennis courts while he was throwing balls with his older brother the Greek god of the high school, the quarterback, track star and soloist in the choir.  Butch was about 5'8", his brother was over 6 feet.  

For whatever reason my friends pooled their money and bought him for me.  I had a wonderful time at the dance.

I have no idea who Jim was taking to the dance.  I wonder if he would have remembered. I had two friends who planned to marry him.  But I don't think he took one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment